Birth Certificate
If you do not have a copy, one can be obtained by contacting the state and county of your birth.

Social Security Card
If you do not have a copy, one can be obtained by contacting your local Social Security Office. For more information call 1.800.772.1213.

State ID/Driver’s License
You will need to apply for a State ID or Driver’s License if you do not have one. The Secretary of State Office provides ID services. To locate your local office and find out what documentation you will need to provide, please call 1.888.767.6424.

Your probation officer will discuss your probation requirements with you. Contact your probation officer directly with any questions.


Michigan 2-1-1
If you are in need of housing you can call 2-1-1 from any phone. 2-1-1 can assist you with referrals for emergency housing and rental assistance.


DHHS provides medical, food, housing, and emergency assistance to low-income individuals. Medicaid will cover medical, substance abuse, mental health, vision, and dental care. A list of local DHHS offices can be found at and selecting the “contact us” tab or by calling 1.517.373.3740.

You can also apply for food assistance at the same time. If you need help with your Medicaid benefits or assistance finding a doctor, call customer help at 1.800.642.3195.

Alcoholics Anonymous (A.A.)
A.A. provides support to individuals struggling with alcohol use. For a list of meetings in your area please visit

Narcotics Anonymous (N.A.)
N.A. provides support to individuals struggling with substance use. For a list of meetings in your area please call 1.800.230.4085.

Community Mental Health(CMH)
CMH provides mental health and/or substance abuse services. If you are in need of mental health and/or substance abuse services you will need to contact your local CMH office. You can locate this office by calling 2-1-1.

If you are in crisis, or know someone who needs help, contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline NOW at: 1.800.273.TALK (1.800.273.8255)

Social Security

The Social Security Office provides financial assistance to individuals who are unable to work due to disability. There are two types of benefits:

Social Security Disability (SSDI)
Eligibility and benefits are based on work history and disability.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Benefits may be available if you are 65 years old or older, are blind or disabled, and have income or other resources below a certain amount.

Contact Social Security to find out if you qualify 1.800.772.1213.


Michigan Works
Michigan Works provides employment assistance to job seekers in Michigan. To find your local office call 1.800.285.WORKS (1.800.285.9675).

Michigan Rehabilitation Services
Michigan Rehabilitation Services provides employment services to individuals that have barriers to employment such as a physical/mental disability. To find out if you qualify for services, please call 1.800.605.6722.


Lifeline provides cell phones to low-income individuals in Michigan. You may be eligible for a free cell phone through the Lifeline Program. To locate a Lifeline provider in your state visit or call USAC’s toll-free number 1.888.641.8722.

Veterans may be eligible for benefits including: healthcare, VA housing, and disability.
State of Michigan’s Veterans Hotline at 1.800.455.5228 or visit the website at

Homeless Veterans
Additional information at: